Thursday 19 April 2012

My Sponsors

This post is very late because I was waiting for photos to include.  When we visited our visa sponsor family in Jakarta I was sick, forgot the camera, and probably infected everyone.  Banyak maaf.  I recently received the photos from Mr. Sony, my sponsor, but my current location provides a connection too slow for uploading photos of the resolution I've been using (after attempting one for an hour), so I'll need to continue with a much smaller one.  Ma'af.  


For our extended stay visa we had to submit a bunch of paperwork to Jakarta, along with a letter from Sony explaining our intentions during our stay, and Sony was the point man through the whole thing.  The timing and execution were perfect.

Our sponsors are warm and gentle people who welcomed us into their home with open arms, served us a classic Javanese dinner, and accepted us as if we were family. 

Wahono headed up the maintenance crew for the simulation division of the Indonesian Air Force while I was here in '83 and is now a retired General.
A4E simulator and crew
 

Poniden, Borkowski, ???, Fredricks, ???, ???
Wilson, ???, Wahono, Royki
He has done very well for himself and his family, and I am really not surprised as he was quite an ambitious young Captain.  A beautiful family and home.  I know he will read this and argue otherwise, but his home is something of a palace, very dramatic, the livingroom towers a full 2 stories.  The home is actually 3 structures, the main house, another for Sony, his son and family, and another for the maid.

While Wahono was in the hospital, unable to sponsor us himself, having surgery, and in intensive care for weeks afterword, his son Sony, a member of the military police, was attending to his father on top of usual familial responsibilities, and was studying for and taking his written and oral exams for his degree and promotion to Major.  At the same time Sony took over the role of sponsor, ferrying our visas through the Immigration Department beurocarcy, providing a reference letter and all the paperwork.

And after all that he refused to accept my repayment for the visa fees charged.  This is the way in Indonesia, open arms and open heart. From a Western perspective it can present some difficulties avoiding misunderstanding.  I will never be able to repay them enough.

Terima Kasih Bapak Wahono dan Keluarga.
Terima Kasih Pak Sony dan Keluarga

No comments:

Post a Comment